Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Geisha Garden Quilt

The main reason I started this blog was to share my quilting and craft projects.  I will start with a quilt I completed December 2012 for my mother-in-law, Sherrye.  The name of the quilt is Geisha Garden.  The quilt panel and fabrics are from the Benartex Fabric Tea House Collection.  


(Here is a photo of my completed quilt.)
 

Quilt Title: Geisha Garden 
Designed by: Diane Nagle
Finished Size: 52" x 72"
 
The panel is delicately etched with gold, accompanied with florals, geometrics and textures that complement the group. There are two color lines: Red/Plum or Antique/Teal.  My mother-in-law picked the Antique/Teal Fabric Panel. 
 
When you download the free pattern, read through it before cutting.  This is always a good rule to follow as a first step to any pattern construction. There are a lot of 1-1/8 inch strips to piece together.  After cutting all required pieces, I started the piecing process of the geometric blocks.  Here is how I tracked and keep everything in order. Take note to use a scant 1/4 inch with this pattern construction.
 
 
Note: The dark teal fabric is NOT from Benartex. 
I can't recall the fabric line it came from. 

 
42 geometric blocks measuring 4-1/2 inches square will be the finished product from all the tiny pieces of fabric strips.
I did a final press of each block before construction around the panel.
 
 
Take note of the placement and rotation of these 42 blocks around the panel.
This photo was taken when my dear hubby was holding it up, so it is slightly distorted.
Notice the corner of the panel and how much gold used in the etched panel.
 
 
Pictured next are the border fabrics.
From left to right: 
Outer border (Tea House Odori Teal)
 Middle border (Tea Garden Antique)
 Panel border (Tea Garden Scroll Seamist)
 
 
Finally, here is a photo taken by mother-in-law of Geisha Garden Quilt hanging as wall art in her bedroom.  She loves anything geisha and so excited about this quilt.
 
I will get better at this posting business.   
 
 
 

1 comment: